Wednesday, July 16, 2008

On the Lookout for Pink Flamingos




I know it may sound strange but there are people that have pink flamingos in Arlington Village. Personally, I'm not sure if they are really my style...I'm more of a "yard gnome" person. I like to watch the travelocity commercials.

Alas, I've finally been confided in that the Grounds Committee has had a big discussion on whether "solar lights" should be allowed. At the moment, there is no law or by-law against them. Forces are at work though to thwart the dreaded solar lights because some people think they don't look very nice.

Thus my fear for the pink flamingo's that I see in people's backyards. So beware and forewarned that owners of solar lights might be getting a letter soon to tell you to put away your lights...I'm sure the next on the list is birdbaths, pink flamingos and other yard creatures that don't pass muster with the imaginary idea of what is classy and what isn't for Arlington Village.

I understand that not everyone has the same taste...however...this is America. We live a stone's throw from our nation's Capitol or Capital...depending if you are talking about the building or the city. As long as it isn't in the front yard ruining your property value...I think you can indulge your neighbor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure. Pink Flamigos - out! Solar lights - gone! Tacky signs promoting a whine and cheezie party - can't get enough of 'em!

I keep looking to see if there's gonna be a half-price used furniture sale involved at the casa Lewis/Kennemer.

And is anyone else getting the impression that when the A.V. Board meets to discuss invasive species, they're talking about YOU?

Anonymous said...

:-)

I personally don't like my neighbor's doormat. Can I ask that the board rule out door mats that don't meet their standards (or mine)?

Anonymous said...

as an attorney, I want to remind the moderator of the following:

Slander is an untruthful oral (spoken) statement about a person that harms the person's reputation or standing in the community. Because slander is a tort (a civil wrong), the injured person can bring a lawsuit against the person who made the false statement. If the statement is made via broadcast media -- for example, over the radio or on TV -- it is considered libel, rather than slander, because the statement has the potential to reach a very wide audience.

I think you have crossed the line.